Saturday, June 25, 2016

Futbol Fanatics

I've only been in Buenos Aires for a month, but already I have caught the futbol fever that is ravaging through the Americas.  Some United States citizens don't even know about Copa America that is taking place in their own backyard, but, I assure you, all of Argentina is on the edge of their seats, myself included.

A few weeks ago, I had the great honor of watching my first futbol match: Argentina v. Venezuela.  I even had my very own commentator, an Argentine with a lot of patience.  I asked far too many questions, but I wanted to know about this new world of soccer.  More importantly, I wanted to know why the fans were so crazy about the sport.

Fans is too mild of a word.  A better one is "fanaticos" or fanatics, also known in Latin America as "hinchas."  These people don't like futbol, they worship it, especially the fans of the Argentine selection team.  The crowd, decked out in their "celeste" or sky blue is a part of the game itself. 


But fans aren't just found in the stadium; some of the most die-hard fanatics are found sitting on a sofa in front of the their own television.  When watching the game, it is not unusual to hear all your neighbors within hearing distance simultaneously cheering when a goal is made.  In the case of the Argentina v. Venezuela match, Argentines had plenty of chances to cheer. 

The score ended up being 4-1, Argentina.  The great hero of the night was none other than Lionel Messi, arguably one of the best futbol players of all time.  Messi has a crowd of worshippers all his own.  All his followers were especially devoted to him last weekend during the match against U.S.A. in which Argentina won 4-0.  One of these goals was made during an impressive penalty kick by Messi.  As little as I know about soccer, I knew there was something nearly miraculous about the kick that sent the ball in to the right corner of the goal just out of the goalie's reach.

I cannot help but hope that this same kind of fever for futbol and Messi will grip the nation in the form of love for the Gospel and for Christ.  Imagine what would happen if we were fanatics for our faith.  It would change the game of the world forever. 

All of the soccer enthusiasts will be watching the match against Chile this Sunday for the finals.  Of course, I will be watching as well and cheering for the team that made me fall in love with the sport.  Futbol games, however, will end after two forty-five minute halves, and the glory of a win fades eventually.  Our lives on the other hand, are longer, and the glory of being a fan of the Gospel will never fade.    

No comments:

Post a Comment